Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Reasons why Paradise isn't ---

August 31, 2006

I know you have all been sitting there in your easy chairs pondering on what is so tough about the Peace Corps, and based on the pictures I have posted you have just cause to wonder. Just to set the record straight I thought I’d better tell the other side of the story, so here goes.

Reasons why Paradise isn't --

First, the weather sucks, even though Manono is better than Upolu. I am so tired of having my arms stick to anything I put them down on, including other body parts.

Second, the bugs are horrendous. I don't even care if there aren't any poisonous ones. I just can't stand having them crawl around on me all the time. Mosquitos, flies, little creepy black bugs, weird little white ones, creepy crawlies on the floor, some of which will bite - namely five inch long centipedes, gazillions of cannibal ants (smaller than sugar ants back home but drop a piece of meat on the floor and they attack by the thousands), cockroaches, shy big brown spiders, and even cute little geckos - they are about to drive me nuts. I truly spray at least once a day and use mosquito coils every afternoon just to get the kitchen inhabitable so I can fix something to eat. I have to use roll-on mosquito repellent whenever I sit in the open part of the fale. I wonder how long the human body can take all this toxic exposure before it causes some harm? I can escape some of it if I go in my room and shut the door, but who wants to be cooped up inside in this paradise?

Third, I would love to go sit out on the steps and look at the moon shining on the ocean and gaze at the stars, but I have my sleepers to contend with. They would want to get up and talk to me or try to find out if anything is wrong. They are really very sweet and concerned about my welfare but I just would really like to be left alone to do my own thing.

Fourth, it stinks that the only sure way to get off this island is to go at 6:00am. Then to get back the only sure way is to come at 2:15p or so when the high school kids come home. If I just want to go to Apolima to see K (maximum 1/2 hour trip) or go to the store or post office it could turn into an 8 hour trip. True there are other boats, but only the good Lord and the boatman know when they might run. At least some of the boatmen run passengers part of the time but then they go fishing too so you never know when one might show up.

Fifth, trying to get groceries is a major hassle out here on the island. There are little markets but their stock is extremely limited and very expensive. I can get all the breadfruit, taro, papaya, mangos, and bananas I want (when they are in season) but some green veggies or corn or carrots would be nice on a regular basis. For those you have to go to Apia which is 1 and a half hours there and 1 and a half back on the bus (to say nothing of getting a boat). I did find one store here on the island that carries chicken, which would be great if I hadn't gotten totally sick of it when I was in training because I had it EVERY day. Other than that, no meat of any kind. If the kids get lucky when they go spear fishing I may get a fish on occasion which is a nice treat, but I miss my lemon pepper.

Other than that, it's great here and I am even getting a little work done. Yesterday I went down to the Komiti house and played cards with some of the ladies for an hour. Good language exposure, and I lost so they'll probably let me come back again. Today I started my village survey, talking to people, finding out about their families and wishes for the village. Three down, 37 to go!

Disclaimer Opinions expressed on this site are those of the page owner and do not in any way reflect the position or policies of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.