Monday, February 19, 2007

Early Service Conference



February 17 -
I just got back from my Early Service Conference - one week at some beach fales down the road from here. It was a really beautiful spot and the weather was decent most of the time. It rained hard sometimes and the sun was blistering down sometimes, but a lot of the week it was overcast or just raining lightly which makes it a lot cooler. There is a really nice breeze and that helps too. For the surfers in the crowd there are some really good waves there. They will be holding the surfing competition for the South Pacific Games there this summer. Well, summer is not really the right word I guess. Technically it will be the dry/cold season. Anyway they start in August.

Tomorrow I’m off to Apia to get my last hepatitis vaccination and to see the doctor again about my asthma. The climate here is wonderful for my arthritis and my dry skin but bad for the asthma. I had no symptoms and no treatment for more than five years when I left the states but two weeks into my stay in Samoa it started kicking up again. I have an inhaler that I used occasionally at first, then regularly every night at bedtime. Lately I have had to use it 2 or 3 times a day so I have to go see about getting some oral meds to go with it. I don’t know if it’s allergies, humidity, smoke from cooking fires, mosquito coils/bug spray or a combination thereof but it is definitely getting worse.

Disclaimer Opinions expressed on this site are those of the page owner and do not in any way reflect the position or policies of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.