Saturday, June 02, 2007

Final Edition

I left my village on May 21st and rented a car to tour around the island of Savai'i. I picked up a friend the first day and she went on around with me. We had a grand time. I really think Samoa is a great tourist destination and can recommend it to anyone who wants to "do tropical". Just don't plan to stay two years!

I went in to Apia, rented another car, and drove around on the island of Upolu for 4 days- well actually I spent two nights with my host family from the training village and another couple of nights with another volunteer in her village, but I did drive through parts of the island I had not yet seen.

I'm sitting here on the balcony outside my room in the Apia Central Hotel watching my last Samoan sunrise with glee! The next sunrise I see will be compliments of Air New Zealand as I wing my way over the cool Pacific towards Los Angeles and home. Today is Saturday and I will be here in Apia for the next two nights, then on Tuesday the 5th at 12:45am I'll board my flight for LosAngeles and home. I don't get back to Bellingham until 11:45pm on the 5th so with time zones etc. I'm not sure just how long the whole process is but I'm ready!

The other volunteers from my training class have been wonderful and supportive of my decision to leave. I think some of them wish they were leaving with me. I jokingly mentioned that when we are at the airport I would take an old lavalava, tie it in a knot, and throw it over my shoulder like a bridal bouquet. Whoever caught it got to be the next one going home! They thought that was a grand idea and we should start a tradition. They threw me a farewell dinner on Friday night at the Lighthouse restaurant and I got lots of hugs and well wishes to say nothing of the great food.

I have never had to say a permanent good bye before and it is really quite trying. Usually, even if you know you probably won't see someone again, there is always a possibility that you could. This is true of my fellow volunteers, but saying goodbye to my Samoan family was really hard. There just is absolutely NO chance that I will ever see them again and they know it. It is painful for them which makes it so for me as well. They were so good to me.

Well, the sun is up (it takes all of 15 minutes) and it is time for breakfast. I hope the water is back on by the time I am done so I can take a shower before I head over to the office. It was off and on all day yesterday so who knows. There is a shower at the office I can use if they have water, but this is Samoa.

When I get home I'll post some of my touristy pictures as there is really some great scenery so standby!

Disclaimer Opinions expressed on this site are those of the page owner and do not in any way reflect the position or policies of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.