Saturday, May 13, 2006

Or not!!!! A change of plans.

Yesterday I got a call from the South America desk with the news that the June training group to Guyana has been cancelled. Needless to say this is an incredible disappointment.

The in-country staff is concerned about volunteer safety because of political unrest surrounding national elections that are to be held in August, so they decided not to bring anymore people down until it is over. Nice of them to consider my welfare. Bad of them to wait until 18 days before my departure to let me know!

I was supposed to get a call from the Placement Office to discuss possible alternative assignments, but that didn't happen so now I will have to wait until Monday for further edification. Who knows, maybe I'll end up in the Pacific after all. Now wouldn't that be nice!

Stay tuned for further developments.

Disclaimer Opinions expressed on this site are those of the page owner and do not in any way reflect the position or policies of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.